I love the combination of coconut and lime, which is so refreshing in the summer months. My recipe for this coconut and lime cake consists of a light and fluffy sponge, doused with lime syrup and covered in smooth coconut buttercream. It’s really easy to make and is great for the dessert table in summer months!
For the Sponge:
300g unsalted butter,
300g caster sugar,
1 tsp vanilla extract,
5 medium eggs,
300g self-raising flour,
1 tsp baking powder.
3 tbsp granulated sugar
juice of 1 lime
250g unsalted butter,
250g icing sugar,
25g dessicated coconut.
Lime zest and coconut flakes to decorate.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
2. Prepare two 8-inch sandwich tins by greasing the sides and the bases
3. Making the sponge: Place the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and cream together with an electric whisk until light and fluffy
4. Beat the eggs with the vanilla extract and add to the butter mixture a bit at a time whilst whisking slowly. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a few tablespoons of the flour before continuing to add the egg
5. Once all of the egg has been added, sift the rest of the self-raising flour and baking powder into the bowl and fold through using a spoon until the mixture is combined (this will ensure the sponges are light and fluffy)
6. Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and bouncy to the touch
7. Make the lime syrup by mixing together the lime juice and sugar and pour this evenly over the sponges while they are still warm
8. Make the buttercream by adding the butter and icing sugar to a bowl and whisking into a smooth paste. Fold in the dessicated coconut.
9. Once the sponges have cooled, spread a thin layer of the coconut buttercream on one of the sponges and sandwich together. Use the remaining buttercream to cover the top of the cake.
10. Grate lime zest over the top of the cake and add coconut flakes for decoration.