On the weekends you deserve an extra special treat for breakfast, swapping the mundane cereal and porridge for something sweet and exciting that you can whip up from scratch in 10-15 minutes.
This weekend I decided to make up some American pancakes, light and fluffy in texture and topped with creme fraiche and a handful of blueberries. Of course, you can change up the toppings for something else if you prefer, but here’s my basic American pancake recipe which makes around 6 pancakes.
150g Plain flour
1 tsp Baking powder
4tsp Caster sugar
150ml Semi-skimmed milk
1 Medium egg
1tbsp Butter (for cooking)
75ml Creme fraiche
Half a lemon – to squeeze over the pancakes
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the baking powder and sugar.
- Measure out the milk in a measuring jug and beat in the egg.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients, whisking to combine them into a thick paste.
- Place a little bit of butter into a heated non-stick frying pan and when it melts, add 1.5tbsp of the pancake batter into the pan and spread out into a circular shape using a spatula.
- When the top of the pancake begins to bubble, use a spatula to flip the pancake ensuring they have risen and reached a golden brown colour on each side before serving.
- Serve with creme fraiche, blueberries and a squeeze of lemon (or toppings of your choice)