Many of you will have seen my previous recipe for Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel, but if you haven’t already, check out the post here! For additional decoration, I surrounded the cake with vanilla and chocolate cake pops (with a drizzle of caramel sauce!), which both look and taste beautiful!
Cake pops are quick and easy to make and don’t require many ingredients. The size of the cakes also mean they cook really quickly, so you can easily have multiple batches baked in no time. This recipe makes 24 cake pops.
I find that silicon cake pop moulds work best. They are cheap to buy and super easy to clean. You can also fit multiple moulds in the oven at once so I bought 2. Don’t forget to buy sticks to insert into your cake pops after cooling.
- 75g caster sugar
- 75g unsalted butter
- 1 medium egg
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 75g self-raising flour
- 100g white chocolate
- 100g milk chocolate
- salted caramel sauce (to decorate – you can find my recipe here!)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Mix together the caster sugar with the softened butter using a whisk.
- Beat the egg and vanilla essence together and add this bit by bit to the sugar and butter mixture. Alternate the addition of this with the addition of self-raising flour (sifted).
- Rinse your cake pop mould with cold water before spooning (or piping) the mixture into the mould. You only need to half fill the mould as the cake will rise into the upper half of the mould during baking. Close the mould by pressing the studs into place.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow the cake pops to cool slightly before popping them out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Insert the sticks into the cake pop: First dip the stick in some melted chocolate then insert 3/4 of the way into the cake pop – the chocolate will keep the stick in place. You then need to allow the chocolate to set in the fridge before decorating the cake pops.
- In separate bowls melt the white and milk chocolate (either over a pan of boiling water or in the microwave). Dip the cake pops into the chocolate and use a spoon to coat the entire sphere in chocolate before placing on a sheet of greaseproof paper. Set for 2 hours in the fridge.
- Finally, once the chocolate on the outside of the cake pops is fully set, drizzle salted caramel onto the cake pops before peeling away from the greaseproof paper.
- Enjoy! Your cake pops are now ready to eat and make a perfect special occasion treat!