A light and airy sponge with refreshing raspberries and creamy buttercream is a perfect treat to serve on a summer evening.
300g unsalted butter,
300g caster sugar,
1 tsp vanilla extract,
6 medium eggs,
300g self-raising flour.
For the Filling:
250g unsalted butter,
250g icing sugar,
250g seedless raspberry jam.
Raspberries to decorate
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175°C
2. Prepare three 20cm sandwich tins by greasing the sides and the bases
3. Making the sponge: Place the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and cream together with an electric whisk until light and fluffy
4. Beat the eggs with the vanilla extract and add to the butter mixture a bit at a time whilst whisking slowly. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a few tablespoons of the flour before continuing to add the egg
5. Once all of the egg has been added, sift the rest of the self-raising flour into the bowl and fold through using a spoon until the mixture is combined (this will ensure the sponges are light and fluffy)
6. Divide the mixture into the three tins and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and bouncy to the touch
7. Make the buttercream by adding the butter and icing sugar to a bowl and whisking into a smooth paste
8. Once the sponges have cooled, spread a thin layer of buttercream followed by a layer of raspberry jam onto the sponges and sandwich together
9. Before spreading buttercream onto the top of the cake, add the remaining jam to the remainder of the buttercream and whisk so that the top of the cake is a pale pink colour
10. Add raspberries to decorate and serve on your favourite cake stand!